Bass Tremolo Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

They don't make them like this anymore

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

They don't make them like this anymore Empty
PostSubject: They don't make them like this anymore   They don't make them like this anymore EmptyTue May 05, 2009 11:12 pm

They don't make them like this anymore Cabnets

That Mesa cab is the best sounding cab I have ever had the pleasure of playing through. I can now without any remorse get rid of the gear I don't want any more. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
madmike

madmike

PostSubject: Re: They don't make them like this anymore   They don't make them like this anymore EmptyWed May 06, 2009 3:57 am

mesa sounds the best.

is that a replacement sheffield 10" in the upper left corner?
Back to top Go down
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

PostSubject: Re: They don't make them like this anymore   They don't make them like this anymore EmptyWed May 06, 2009 7:36 am

It really does, man. Without a doubt.

I haven't opened it up yet to check. I'm curious as well. I'll let you know when I find out. Wink
Back to top Go down
madmike

madmike

PostSubject: Re: They don't make them like this anymore   They don't make them like this anymore EmptyWed May 06, 2009 3:39 pm

just curious ... it looks the same measurements and mine changed color like that too.
Back to top Go down
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

PostSubject: Re: They don't make them like this anymore   They don't make them like this anymore EmptyWed May 06, 2009 10:38 pm

As am I. I'll make note to open it some time.

And let me tell you, the Peavey cabinets are not shabby. They have a very different tone and a different type of flexibility that I really enjoy in addition to he Mesa's rock solid sound.
Back to top Go down
EricHaven
Admin
EricHaven

PostSubject: Re: They don't make them like this anymore   They don't make them like this anymore EmptyThu May 07, 2009 6:48 pm

You know, it really slays me how there's this camp of people who seem to have this horrid opinion about Peavey gear. But honestly, I've owned quite a few different pieces from them, and I loved all of it. I don't understand where the stigma comes from. scratch
Back to top Go down
http://www.basstremolofanatics.com
madmike

madmike

PostSubject: Re: They don't make them like this anymore   They don't make them like this anymore EmptyFri May 08, 2009 4:27 am

neither do i. i had a 4X10 peavey that i got rid of because it didnt fit in the trunk of my car ... i regret it. that thing sounded great.
Back to top Go down
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

PostSubject: Re: They don't make them like this anymore   They don't make them like this anymore EmptyFri May 08, 2009 2:39 pm

My Peavey cabinets are just as loud and just as flexible as my Mesa cabinet. But they are huge and heavy. That's what I love about them. The contrast between the 10" and 18" speakers is really cool and when you run just 10s or just 18s, it sounds totally different than when you run them together...lots of fun to be had just there.
Back to top Go down
EricHaven
Admin
EricHaven

PostSubject: Re: They don't make them like this anymore   They don't make them like this anymore EmptyFri May 08, 2009 6:32 pm

Ah! Now that is one thing I do recall as being a negative about Peavey cabs. They weighed a ton!

Now if you guys want to look at really great cabinets that don't cost and arm and a leg, while at the same time being relatively light-weight, check out Ashdown. John Entwistle used some of their gear, and from what I've heard, they make some killer bass amps. I had a couple of their cabinets once, and they sounded great without weighing a ton:

http://www.ashdownmusic.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.basstremolofanatics.com
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

PostSubject: Re: They don't make them like this anymore   They don't make them like this anymore EmptyFri May 08, 2009 11:35 pm

Yeah...but most people give them a bad rep for poor sound and shoddy construction. Absolutely not the case. Maybe in a later phase, but I've played new Peavey stuff and old Peavey stuff, both have surprised me at how good they are. The old amps are a little sketchy, but their new ones are pretty damn solid.

I've played some Ashdown stuff. I couldn't get into it for some reason, but I also wasn't playing my bass or anything. I'd love to give them a try again some day. Blue speaker cones! I think they look a little to classy and high end for my taste, though. Needs to look much more working class for me Laughing
Back to top Go down
madmike

madmike

PostSubject: Re: They don't make them like this anymore   They don't make them like this anymore EmptySat May 09, 2009 11:13 am

my peavey 4x10 cab weighed about 80lbs. very heavy for a 4x10. i didnt mind the weight so much as the depth ... it was almost as deep as it was wide ... guess thats why it sounded so good.

my mach III head weighs a ton too.

i really like ashdown. people talk about the bad reviews but i never heard them from any of the owners. i really dig the blue speakers too. i would consider owning some ashdown equipment if i wasnt so sold on mesa's stuff.
Back to top Go down
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

PostSubject: Re: They don't make them like this anymore   They don't make them like this anymore EmptySat May 09, 2009 12:12 pm

Was your 4x10 a model that was part of the same series as your Mach III? Haha same deal with my 1810s. Hoooge! Shocked

I think Peavey is ahead of their time, but their vibe isn't for everyone.

I have found my niche with Mesa/Boogie amps and cabs, but I'm definitely interested in giving some Ashdown enclosures a spin, just for the hell of it. Kinda forgot about them until you mentioned them.
Back to top Go down
madmike

madmike

PostSubject: Re: They don't make them like this anymore   They don't make them like this anymore EmptySun May 10, 2009 8:04 am

ya know ... i guess it was just the model cab that worked with the mach III head at 4 ohms. i never saw too many more of these cabinets at 4 ohms ... most are 8, but they do sell both in a new modern model. same speakers, same wattage, same hf driver, same dimension cab ... just the ports are different and the exterior design.

that mach III head was so definately a product of the 80's. when i got it, it had the pinstipe speed lines in turquoise paint on the front ... very duran duran! altho i liked duran and duran ... i'm not duran or duran ... nor am i as cute as those fine european boys (20 years ago). Surprised i had to mask it off and take the flat black spraypaint to the front of the head to cover that up.

i love this head ... its the best sounding solid state i've ever heard next to ampeg. different than ampeg sound tho ... but sounds good for what i do with it. onboard preamp, shelving and 7 band eq make all the difference.
Back to top Go down
madmike

madmike

PostSubject: Re: They don't make them like this anymore   They don't make them like this anymore EmptySun May 10, 2009 8:06 am

ya know boots, i was just looking at those pics of your rig again ..........

your moving some massive quantities of air with that!

ha!
Back to top Go down
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

PostSubject: Re: They don't make them like this anymore   They don't make them like this anymore EmptySun May 10, 2009 12:06 pm

I know. From my cheap Peavey that I have, it has such a crisp, crunchy sound for such a POS! Ha! But too noisy and not quite what I'm looking for as far as flexibility or sound.

Can you post a picture or two of your amp, Mike? I'd love to get a closer look at it. Very Happy

I had an Ampeg solid state head--a B2Re. I wasn't happy with it. Got rid of it a couple months ago. Sounded like pure cack. But some of Ampeg's tube heads sound so good...just not something I want to hear my playing through.

Yeah. I definitely have the amount of speakers that I've been craving! However, I would like another amp similar to my 400+ (I really want a Mesa Strategy 400 stereo power amp) to be the power for my other channel. Then I can run all of those cabinets that you see there all together, or two, or one. Hopefully, I'll be able to get the ART Nightbass that I tried out. That'd go perfect as a preamp for a Strategy 400. Some day Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: They don't make them like this anymore   They don't make them like this anymore Empty

Back to top Go down

They don't make them like this anymore
Page 1 of 1