Bass Tremolo Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

BASS NUT

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
hardrockstar

BASS NUT Empty
PostSubject: BASS NUT   BASS NUT EmptyTue May 08, 2012 2:21 am

I would wager that the phrase "stumbled upon" is prevalent in newbie posts to this site. Found BTF as I was searching the web for a locking bass nut for my bass project. I don't currently have a trem bass but used to own a hybrid Steinberger with a transtrem. I do regret selling that ax as I do just about every bass guitar I have ever let slip through my fingers. I'm 46 and have played bass since I've was thirteen. You do the math. Simple subtraction somehow escapes me whenever this comes up. I have toggled between pro and semi-pro during that time. I am a four-stringer all the way. Tried 5 for a few years but after selling the Yamaha BB-5000 never had a desire to go back. Stingray is my main ax. Was playing in a heavy band tuned way down a year ago and refitted my Washburn Scavenger bass to B-E-A-D. I had been thinking about doing that for years and it really worked out well I think. I'm no longer doing that gig and am bringing that ax back to standard tuning because the tone on that plank is my favorite of all 20 or so that I have owned over the years. I installed EMG P-Js and preamp and Grover tuners on it. I'm working on refinishing it. I was looking at my fretless, headless P that I haven't played in a year because the strings broke and I can't afford the damn double ball jobbies and thought I should put this amazing bridge on the Washburn, get a locking nut and use standard strings. The Scavenger Bass was the only low 4 in the bird series Washburn produced in the 70's. The guitars in the series were all named after birds of prey (eagle,hawk etc..). So what does that say about bassists? We are only deserving of sloppy seconds? Anyway I still kind of dig the name. I'll post photo if there is any interest. Locking nut idea's much appreciated.
Back to top Go down
madmike

madmike

BASS NUT Empty
PostSubject: Re: BASS NUT   BASS NUT EmptyTue May 08, 2012 6:14 pm

first off ... Welcome.

yammi bb bass? ... Yeah, you'll fit right in here.

washburn? I keep ending up there. My current non trem bass is a taurus.

refinishing? I do 3 or 4 a year. I have gotten much better since I learned about reranch. Last one wasn't a re, it was a scratch build carvin v 440 (w/ kahler trem).

playing second fiddle (with really thick strings) to guitarists? Yeah, we know ... And don't. We stick out like a sore thumb (too much slap) and when we can't get it ... We build it, and help each other to do it as well.

stienberger transtrem. You let one go. Doh! Personally, not that I want one, but I do want to check out and fiddle with the engineering. Ok, ide take one, but the asking price lately is rediculous.

nuts. Like the locking kind. Don't understand what your swapping onto what or why. Bass locking nuts I've seen are the tops of headless and, as I understand, a bridge, at the nut. Locking nuts on floyd rose type bridges are to eliminate tuning issues. We do have many tricks for tuning issues btw. But anyhow ... Please give us more details about what your doing.
Back to top Go down
hardrockstar

BASS NUT Empty
PostSubject: Re: BASS NUT   BASS NUT EmptySun May 13, 2012 12:36 am

Mike, the nut thing is getting a bit nutty as I've discovered that it's not like ...available. So it's going on the back-burner for now. As vain as it sounds, the main thing that's preventing me from playing my bass is paint. I was having it done on the cheap (free) by a friend who builds choppers and he was going to do it along side his bike. He did 2 coats and then unforeseeable events halted progress. The color (purple) wasn't really my first choice anyway so I want to strip it back down to sealer and start over. I sure could use advice. I did the prep work on the wood myself. Wood paste to fill the mahogany then shellac for the sealer coat. I want white, either pure white with gold pearl or vintage cream. A Mary Kay finish would be great too but maybe too ambitious for my first try. I would like to invest in the spray guns if it is within reason price wise. What gear do you use?
Back to top Go down
madmike

madmike

BASS NUT Empty
PostSubject: Re: BASS NUT   BASS NUT EmptySun May 13, 2012 6:04 am

I dont know if your in the CUSA, (hazzard material shipping restrictions) but i use reranch now exclusively. Its nitrocellulose lacquer developed specificly for guitars. Ive tried the rest, this is the best. Most of the products are available in aerosol so no need for spray equipment. If you do need to spray non aerosol, preval sprayers work great.

http://www.reranch.com/

And a place to ask questions, show your work and share nonsence (like here) ....

http://reranch.com/reranch/index.php
Back to top Go down
amimbari

amimbari

BASS NUT Empty
PostSubject: Re: BASS NUT   BASS NUT EmptySun May 13, 2012 9:57 am

mike turned a pos black junk into a white cream playable unit for me Smile
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/amimbari
Sponsored content

BASS NUT Empty
PostSubject: Re: BASS NUT   BASS NUT Empty