Bass Tremolo Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

I got to play thru some GK cabs tonight -how sad :(

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
amimbari

amimbari

I got to play thru some GK cabs tonight -how sad :( Empty
PostSubject: I got to play thru some GK cabs tonight -how sad :(   I got to play thru some GK cabs tonight -how sad :( EmptyFri Nov 12, 2010 10:47 pm

our band was asked to do a set or so at a place tonight ( well actually Friday the 12th because it's already past 12 here )

and since we know them they said me and the drummer didn't have to bring anything, just plug in to the bassplayers rig, same with the drummer - sticks only. I said hell ya...bad mistake.

poor kid has a GK300 something model with a 2x10 and 1x15 GK cabs.....bad mistake

this place was like 10 minutes from my house so I ran home and threw my mackie rack in the car thinking ok this will work and not blow up his speakers.
ugh do GK cabs sound like dirt when loud I was messing with my EQ so much so my P/J wasn't sounding like a Epiphone Tbird...nope just couldn't get it clear and bright like my hartke aluminum cone cab.

I sounded better out of the PA speakers sad, but true.
When they got on stage he used his own rig AND low and behold, he pulls a epi goth Tbird out of a case so he MUST be happy cause at the same vol level pretty much as our band, --wow that convinced me not to ever buy a GK 2x10 or a 1x15.

and I'm happy because we each got 50 bucks as a bonus from the bar owner ( we were gonna do it for free as a favor to our friends in the other band ) cause the place was packed after the hockey game while we were jamming covers and the other band plays originals not a good thing in Pittsburgh for a local bar and the crowd showed it...

Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/amimbari
EricHaven
Admin
EricHaven

PostSubject: Re: I got to play thru some GK cabs tonight -how sad :(   I got to play thru some GK cabs tonight -how sad :( EmptySat Nov 13, 2010 1:51 pm

What the heck. At least it turned out to be a good experience overall, and you learned that you don't like the sound of GK cabs. Plus, you got paid, and you were still so close to your house! Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.basstremolofanatics.com
amimbari

amimbari

PostSubject: Re: I got to play thru some GK cabs tonight -how sad :(   I got to play thru some GK cabs tonight -how sad :( EmptySat Nov 13, 2010 4:07 pm

oh I'm happy money or not... Smile

just cabs that would not work for me beyond a quiet practice. they sucked up the wattage the mackie was putting out and running at 75-100% on the meters, just sounded like the 2x10 had a crossover in it preventing higher freqs, and the 15 was not bassy enough in the low area.

for reference, the cabs are 8ohm and the mackie puts out 300x2 at 8ohm. I probably should have paralleled the cabs and used 4ohms for more watts, but I wanted to be able to eq each speaker in stereo.

a 5string bass would probably be worse as I had my preamp bass almost all the way up it even before it hit the eq for the 1x15.

the PA had Peavy 1x15 subs, and that worked to boost my "low bass" the GK cabs just were not reproducing.
Back to top Go down
madmike

madmike

PostSubject: Re: I got to play thru some GK cabs tonight -how sad :(   I got to play thru some GK cabs tonight -how sad :( EmptySat Nov 13, 2010 7:29 pm

Im not sure what's up with gk. Their old stuff was decent. I wanted to try some gk gear so I went and got a backline600. There's no way this thing is 300w or capable of producing a tone acceptable for anything other than punk.

I sold it cheap and don't think i'll be back.

Borrowing or lending gear at gigs? ... no thanks and no. Just never a good idea for me. Ide rather use my gear and no, you can't have the chance to abuse or break it.
Back to top Go down
EricHaven
Admin
EricHaven

PostSubject: Re: I got to play thru some GK cabs tonight -how sad :(   I got to play thru some GK cabs tonight -how sad :( EmptySat Nov 13, 2010 11:20 pm

I totally agree. With what my tone and playing style are now, I would never settle for playing through someone else's gear. And I used to own some older GK gear that totally kicked arse, but it appears that the stuff they are making nowadays is not all that up to par. It's a shame that a company with such a great history endend up cheapening itself so badly.
Back to top Go down
amimbari

amimbari

PostSubject: Re: I got to play thru some GK cabs tonight -how sad :(   I got to play thru some GK cabs tonight -how sad :( EmptySun Nov 14, 2010 8:29 am

well this place was just a small restaurant, and I was plenty loud enough just no "tone"... and ya I have known him for a long time so using his gear and blowing it up would not have worried him as I would have replaced anything that I damaged.

however, mike is right no way would I just "use someone elses" or have mine used by, unless I knew that person pretty well JUST for that reason.

our gig this weekend coming is a much bigger place, is also about 10-15 minutes from my house, we are playing a 2 setshow instead of one, and I'll have all my stuff this time and get videos and pics and hopefully more than 100 bucks so I can pay for my labor charge to have a headstock repaired Smile

I was all excited to have a 60.00 bass that had a lot of tone potential and a nice smooth neck with no fretwear even though it is MIK heavy plywood, and the bonus of having a matched pair but as I was strapping it on I didn't think to check the strap pin screw and bang....oh well Sad
I got to play thru some GK cabs tonight -how sad :( P1010263

BUT, I think they still make a cute couple Smile
I got to play thru some GK cabs tonight -how sad :( P1010266-2

Back to top Go down
EricHaven
Admin
EricHaven

PostSubject: Re: I got to play thru some GK cabs tonight -how sad :(   I got to play thru some GK cabs tonight -how sad :( EmptySun Nov 14, 2010 12:16 pm

Oh, NO!!! No

Total bummer, Dude! But I think you can still fix it. With the right super-strong wood glue and clamping, you should be able to fix it.
Back to top Go down
amimbari

amimbari

PostSubject: Re: I got to play thru some GK cabs tonight -how sad :(   I got to play thru some GK cabs tonight -how sad :( EmptySun Nov 14, 2010 1:59 pm

ya I was bummed for a couple minutes, but the breaks are clean..I just stuck the pieces on the head to take a couple quick pics...

I said " a couple minutes" because if I would have paid something substantial for it I would have been crying.
So no, it's not dead and will get fixed.

Back to top Go down
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

PostSubject: Re: I got to play thru some GK cabs tonight -how sad :(   I got to play thru some GK cabs tonight -how sad :( EmptyMon Nov 15, 2010 10:54 am

Dang...gotta have gear that fits!
Back to top Go down
amimbari

amimbari

PostSubject: Re: I got to play thru some GK cabs tonight -how sad :(   I got to play thru some GK cabs tonight -how sad :( EmptyMon Nov 15, 2010 11:15 am

gear that fits? what's that?
Back to top Go down
madmike

madmike

PostSubject: Re: I got to play thru some GK cabs tonight -how sad :(   I got to play thru some GK cabs tonight -how sad :( EmptyMon Nov 15, 2010 8:16 pm

thats what i had once i went out and got the accord station wagon! Very Happy

everything fits now!
Back to top Go down
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

PostSubject: Re: I got to play thru some GK cabs tonight -how sad :(   I got to play thru some GK cabs tonight -how sad :( EmptyFri Nov 19, 2010 10:49 am

Fits as in has the sound you want, feel you want...soforth.
Back to top Go down
madmike

madmike

PostSubject: Re: I got to play thru some GK cabs tonight -how sad :(   I got to play thru some GK cabs tonight -how sad :( EmptyFri Nov 19, 2010 11:22 am

Fits as in .....

2 amps
2 basses
2x15 cab
2x10 cab
1x15 cab
Processor, effects and cables
Box o merch
Multiple energy drinks
Amy
and maybe a roadie
Back to top Go down
amimbari

amimbari

PostSubject: Re: I got to play thru some GK cabs tonight -how sad :(   I got to play thru some GK cabs tonight -how sad :( EmptyFri Nov 19, 2010 11:48 am

haha not in my accord, my "reduced size" rack, 2 guitars, 2 bags, and the 4x10 on the back seat a passenger and driving supplies..that's it for me...

when the big stuff comes out, I use my brothers SUV or our singers SUV Smile
Back to top Go down
EricHaven
Admin
EricHaven

PostSubject: Re: I got to play thru some GK cabs tonight -how sad :(   I got to play thru some GK cabs tonight -how sad :( EmptyFri Nov 19, 2010 1:49 pm

Shoot, I can just barely fit my rig into my Chevy Prizm, and if I ever get more cabs, then I'll have to spring for a trailer! Laughing
Back to top Go down
amimbari

amimbari

PostSubject: Re: I got to play thru some GK cabs tonight -how sad :(   I got to play thru some GK cabs tonight -how sad :( EmptyFri Nov 19, 2010 2:08 pm

go check out madmike's mr ming thread Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I got to play thru some GK cabs tonight -how sad :(   I got to play thru some GK cabs tonight -how sad :( Empty

Back to top Go down

I got to play thru some GK cabs tonight -how sad :(
Page 1 of 1