Bass Tremolo Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

John Gallagher of Raven

Go down 
+6
Kugelspot
NoobOnRoad
johng
Darkstrike
Chowderboots
EricHaven
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
johng

johng

John Gallagher of Raven - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: John Gallagher of Raven   John Gallagher of Raven - Page 2 EmptyWed May 06, 2009 8:07 pm

Very Happy yep..that guy on the 7 string was getting paid by the note!!! very cool...
got the EMG 81..its on the explorer...it rips!!! however, I picked up the
following bass on the dreaded ebay...
C:\Users\john\Pictures\My Pictures\RAVEN PIX\RavenPic\delgado bass.JPG
and the Kent Armstrong humbuckers on it are just killer - kinda like a T-bird bass on
steroids - the bass just sings with distortion...so I'm chasing Mr. Armstrong for one!
the EMG is cool but its a little "honky" and is lacking on the lows..but thats the pickup
I used on the "igarbo" solo and all the '80's trem stuff..
the First Act Delgado bass is so beat to **** I was amazed..it can only be a year or two old but
the guy who had it was brutal...next to the bridge pickup is a thunbnail wear mark thats more
like a gouge...the electrics are all messed up..intermittent vol pot...and Jack socket - but its
a good 'un and yes..maybe a trem on it down the line!
finally got some copies of our new album & will be selling them on our website (shameless plug)
cheers!
Back to top Go down
Mo Beach

Mo Beach

PostSubject: Re: John Gallagher of Raven   John Gallagher of Raven - Page 2 EmptyThu May 07, 2009 6:36 am

johng wrote:
Very HappyJohn Gallagher of Raven - Page 2 001511

Careful with that one you'll put someones eye out! pirat
Back to top Go down
johng

johng

PostSubject: Re: John Gallagher of Raven   John Gallagher of Raven - Page 2 EmptyThu May 07, 2009 5:14 pm

Very Happy HA!!! yep, its the "pointy anoity" bass!!!!
John Gallagher of Raven - Page 2 Delgad12
heres the delgado ....not so pointy but still..it kills...
Back to top Go down
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

PostSubject: Re: John Gallagher of Raven   John Gallagher of Raven - Page 2 EmptyThu May 07, 2009 5:44 pm

Nice...now that's pretty classy looking! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Kugelspot

Kugelspot

PostSubject: Re: John Gallagher of Raven   John Gallagher of Raven - Page 2 EmptyThu May 07, 2009 6:15 pm

VERY classy, but in a rock and roll way, like a Rickenbacker or Spector. Me likes!
Back to top Go down
EricHaven
Admin
EricHaven

PostSubject: Re: John Gallagher of Raven   John Gallagher of Raven - Page 2 EmptyThu May 07, 2009 6:44 pm

Speaking of your live solo I.G.A.R.B.O. John, what bass did you use then?
Back to top Go down
http://www.basstremolofanatics.com
johng

johng

PostSubject: Re: John Gallagher of Raven   John Gallagher of Raven - Page 2 EmptySat May 09, 2009 8:31 pm

Very Happy Hi Eric,
thats the red explorer, with the EMG 81....
having a nightmare with the wiring..but the white T-bird bass is almost up & running,
pix to come soon....trying to set up 2 MM pickups, 2 vols & a 3 way switch...sounds easy
but I'm using a gibson style switch thats just odd & p... ing me off..
Back to top Go down
EricHaven
Admin
EricHaven

PostSubject: Re: John Gallagher of Raven   John Gallagher of Raven - Page 2 EmptySat May 09, 2009 8:53 pm

If you want to ship it to me, I'd be glad to give the wiring my personal TLC! Wink
Back to top Go down
EricHaven
Admin
EricHaven

PostSubject: Re: John Gallagher of Raven   John Gallagher of Raven - Page 2 EmptySat May 09, 2009 9:15 pm

And look what I found! This is the audio from the live Raven album Live At The Inferno, and the track is John's bass solo called I.G.A.R.B.O. If you guys want to hear some insane bass trem usage, along with John's frightening picking ability, listen up!

Let me stress again. This is NOT a guitar. It is indeed John Gallagher soloing on his red Explorer bass (as he confirmed only a couple of posts ago).
Back to top Go down
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

PostSubject: Re: John Gallagher of Raven   John Gallagher of Raven - Page 2 EmptySun May 10, 2009 12:09 am

That's just awesome!!! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Darkstrike

PostSubject: Re: John Gallagher of Raven   John Gallagher of Raven - Page 2 EmptySun May 10, 2009 6:50 am

EricHaven wrote:
This is NOT a guitar.

Utter lies, pshhh, of course its a bloody guitar, I can hear that much...............

A "bass" guitar! tongue
Back to top Go down
Kugelspot

Kugelspot

PostSubject: Re: John Gallagher of Raven   John Gallagher of Raven - Page 2 EmptySun May 10, 2009 9:11 pm

Just got Live at the Inferno. So awesome!!! \m/ Twisted Evil \m/
Back to top Go down
EricHaven
Admin
EricHaven

PostSubject: Re: John Gallagher of Raven   John Gallagher of Raven - Page 2 EmptyMon May 11, 2009 8:40 pm

OK, John. A couple more questions, if I may?

When you begin I.G.A.R.B.O., I can tell that you have an A chord that you shake and drop with your trem, apply a little wah, then you come up with these couple of absolutely screaming high notes! How on Earth did/do you come up with those? Harmonics? Pure volume and feedback? And did you use some sort of octave device? The chords sound almost like a guitar at times! Astonishing! Shocked
Back to top Go down
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

PostSubject: Re: John Gallagher of Raven   John Gallagher of Raven - Page 2 EmptyMon May 11, 2009 9:26 pm

EricHaven wrote:
OK, John. A couple more questions, if I may?

When you begin I.G.A.R.B.O., I can tell that you have an A chord that you shake and drop with your trem, apply a little wah, then you come up with these couple of absolutely screaming high notes! How on Earth did/do you come up with those? Harmonics? Pure volume and feedback? And did you use some sort of octave device? The chords sound almost like a guitar at times! Astonishing! Shocked

I was thinking just that...what are they? Pinch harmonics? Satan himself driving your speakers? Laughing
Back to top Go down
johng

johng

PostSubject: Re: John Gallagher of Raven   John Gallagher of Raven - Page 2 EmptyTue May 12, 2009 8:52 pm

Very Happy Hi, well..thats my patented auto wah/chorus nonsense for a second...
then a couple of harmonics around the 2nd fret! no octave devices or safety nets...
you'd love what I'm messing with now...ring modulator & then some pitch stuff...very sick!

and heres the t-bird!!!!

John Gallagher of Raven - Page 2 Ebay_t14[/ur[url=https://servimg.com/view/13713501/16]John Gallagher of Raven - Page 2 Ebay_t15l]

oh yeah baby!!!
Back to top Go down
Kugelspot

Kugelspot

PostSubject: Re: John Gallagher of Raven   John Gallagher of Raven - Page 2 EmptyTue May 12, 2009 9:23 pm

Shocked That thing is amazing! I can't quite put my finger on why it's so awesome, though. Probably it's because everything about that bass is just beautiful, and it all goes together really well.

BTW, what kind of pickups are those?

Also, what does I.G.A.R.B.O. stand for, anyway?
Back to top Go down
NoobOnRoad

NoobOnRoad

PostSubject: Re: John Gallagher of Raven   John Gallagher of Raven - Page 2 EmptyTue May 12, 2009 9:43 pm

Are the pickup passive and what are they???? affraid
Back to top Go down
Kugelspot

Kugelspot

PostSubject: Re: John Gallagher of Raven   John Gallagher of Raven - Page 2 EmptyTue May 12, 2009 10:20 pm

^ exposed pole pickups are usually passive. No idea what brand or anything
Back to top Go down
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

PostSubject: Re: John Gallagher of Raven   John Gallagher of Raven - Page 2 EmptyTue May 12, 2009 11:52 pm

Oh dude that's kickass! I've been thinking about building myself an Exporer with that kinda scheme (maple neck, creme body, white (or black...) pickguard). I think it looks classy as hell...but metal as ****!

Is that a vintage black Kahler bar on there?

And I love the tigerstripe cushions!! Wink
Back to top Go down
EricHaven
Admin
EricHaven

PostSubject: Re: John Gallagher of Raven   John Gallagher of Raven - Page 2 EmptyWed May 13, 2009 7:48 pm

Beautiful bass, John! Shocked

One of these days, we're getting on a plane heading back east so I can drop by and play your basses! Laughing

And KS, if I'm not mistaken, I.G.A.R.B.O. stands for I Got A Real Boner On, or something like that. Wink
Back to top Go down
Kugelspot

Kugelspot

PostSubject: Re: John Gallagher of Raven   John Gallagher of Raven - Page 2 EmptyWed May 13, 2009 8:04 pm

EricHaven wrote:
And KS, if I'm not mistaken, I.G.A.R.B.O. stands for I Got A Real Boner On, or something like that. Wink

Laughing Laughing Laughing

That's awesome!
Back to top Go down
johng

johng

PostSubject: Re: John Gallagher of Raven   John Gallagher of Raven - Page 2 EmptyWed May 13, 2009 8:35 pm

Very Happy yeah, close - its " I've got a rampant boner on" our old drum roadie used acronyms
when pointing out hot women!!!!! so I had to use it...
and Eric, any time mate!!
the pickups..ones a wilkinson MM, the other a no name but they are both loud & proud..passive
but sound really good...I'm still in shock this project turned out so well...next bit of fum is picking th ebest points
for the straplocks...this is a heavy bass in more ways than one!
Back to top Go down
NoobOnRoad

NoobOnRoad

PostSubject: Re: John Gallagher of Raven   John Gallagher of Raven - Page 2 EmptyWed May 13, 2009 8:53 pm

johng wrote:
Very Happy yeah, close - its " I've got a rampant boner on" our old drum roadie used acronyms
the pickups..ones a wilkinson MM, the other a no name but they are both loud & proud..passive
but sound really good...I'm still in shock this project turned out so well...next bit of fum is picking th ebest points
for the straplocks...this is a heavy bass in more ways than one!

so, these wilkinson can scream huh... Maybe i'll change a little bit my project. albino
Back to top Go down
NoobOnRoad

NoobOnRoad

PostSubject: Re: John Gallagher of Raven   John Gallagher of Raven - Page 2 EmptyWed May 13, 2009 9:06 pm

Also, does Hell Patrol on your live album is the Judas Priest Hell Patrol?

P.S: i dont have the album so i cant check.
Back to top Go down
johng

johng

PostSubject: Re: John Gallagher of Raven   John Gallagher of Raven - Page 2 EmptyThu May 14, 2009 5:17 am

Very Happy no, its our song - waaaaay before the Priest!
Back to top Go down
amimbari

amimbari

PostSubject: Re: John Gallagher of Raven   John Gallagher of Raven - Page 2 EmptyThu May 14, 2009 7:04 am

with all this famous-osity in here now, I feel left out not posting to this thread EXCEPT for the fact that he is building a Tbird body bass geek

BUT if it was me building that thing it would have a pointy headstock on it like THIS 94 TBX:

John Gallagher of Raven - Page 2 DSC03058

or this Kahlerized 87 C/S lol!

John Gallagher of Raven - Page 2 JacksonbirdTotal

or Martin (chowderboots) favorite:

John Gallagher of Raven - Page 2 3b3

anyway, welcome to the craziness John, glad to have your participation into the board, we do like to "teach" these young-ins a thing or 2, and HOPEFULLY you will show my old *** a thing or 2 as well even if it is fantastic playing from a bunch of your videos. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/amimbari
EricHaven
Admin
EricHaven

PostSubject: Re: John Gallagher of Raven   John Gallagher of Raven - Page 2 EmptyThu May 14, 2009 7:28 pm

johng wrote:

I knew I was close! Laughing

And you can bet that one of these days Linda and I will make a trip out to see you. And of course, you guys are ALWAYS welcome to come out here to Washington anytime! Wink
Back to top Go down
johng

johng

PostSubject: Re: John Gallagher of Raven   John Gallagher of Raven - Page 2 EmptyThu May 14, 2009 8:01 pm

Very Happy man, those charvels are AWESOME!!!!!! and you know we can ALL learn a thing or two
from each other!!! even us old farts!
hey, anyone got any thoughts on this...at various times I had a couple of kahler
equipped basses also having a hipshot D-tuner - and it was a disaster...however,
on the 2 basses I have now with kahlers, if I tune the E to D, it barely effects the tuning on the other
strings!!!! the bass I have with the hipshot has a D tuner & its useless...unless I block the trem
anyway, kinda useful ....until we go the 5 string/6 string/17 string bass with the trem route!
Back to top Go down
EricHaven
Admin
EricHaven

PostSubject: Re: John Gallagher of Raven   John Gallagher of Raven - Page 2 EmptyThu May 14, 2009 8:56 pm

I do notice a tiny variation in my other strings when I detune my E to a D, but it's so slight that it doesn't affect things too much.

That's really strange. I would think that using a Hipshot detuner would produce the same effect as simply detuning the string, but obviously there's something going on between the Hipshot detuner and the Kahler. scratch
Back to top Go down
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

PostSubject: Re: John Gallagher of Raven   John Gallagher of Raven - Page 2 EmptyThu May 14, 2009 11:53 pm

Possibly, it's because the Hipshot drops the string so drastically? When you tune a string down, you normally go at it much slower, right?

Mmh I love those Jackson pointy headstocks. Very Happy Just wish that they worked for me with Kahlers. I even tried stringing the strings around the other side of the posts (like on thor from the JCF's CS Concert bass), but nope. Still horrible tuning stability. Wish that thing had a 2400 on it, but it can't be perfect, huh?

I wonder how realistic it would be to get the Kahler's route filled and get the bass refinished and put a hardtail bridge on there. Probably would be a lot of money if it could be done well.
Back to top Go down
Darkstrike

PostSubject: Re: John Gallagher of Raven   John Gallagher of Raven - Page 2 EmptyFri May 15, 2009 5:03 am

Chowderboots wrote:
Possibly, it's because the Hipshot drops the string so drastically? When you tune a string down, you normally go at it much slower, right?

I believe this is the reason. The Hipshots can drop real quick, making the springs pull quickly.

Tuning down normally, keeps everything settled.
Back to top Go down
EricHaven
Admin
EricHaven

PostSubject: Re: John Gallagher of Raven   John Gallagher of Raven - Page 2 EmptyFri May 15, 2009 6:04 pm

Good call, guys! I do believe that's the reason. Cool
Back to top Go down
Darkstrike

PostSubject: Re: John Gallagher of Raven   John Gallagher of Raven - Page 2 EmptyFri May 15, 2009 6:19 pm

EricHaven wrote:
Good call, guys! I do believe that's the reason. Cool

I've often though on it, as I love my Hipshot Drop Keys, not quite as much as my Kahlers, but still a lot.

One, if you install a trem stop, the stop the bridge from raising in pitch at all, the Hipshot key will work perfect, but you'll not be able to pull up on the trem, that matters not much to most(I know you only dive Eric), but I like to pull on harmonics.

Two, and this is just a theroy for now, but Hipshot "Tremsetter" they stop the trem from coming back from a dive or pull out of tune, on guitars at least, now, if they work for bass, maybe, just maybe, they should make the Drop Key work perfect.

Downside, I doubt they are compatible with Kahlers.

I need to contact Hipshot with a few questions sometime.
Back to top Go down
EricHaven
Admin
EricHaven

PostSubject: Re: John Gallagher of Raven   John Gallagher of Raven - Page 2 EmptyFri May 15, 2009 6:28 pm

Actually Bill, I do have my Kahler set to pull up by about a step or so, but I don't do so too often since I am always concerned about stretching my strings flat, as you guys already know. Wink

Now once I get off my arse and build me a truly functional toplock, you can bet that I'll be doing some yankin'! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Darkstrike

PostSubject: Re: John Gallagher of Raven   John Gallagher of Raven - Page 2 EmptyFri May 15, 2009 6:32 pm

Ah, mostly would have been a better word there then. Smile
Back to top Go down
EricHaven
Admin
EricHaven

PostSubject: Re: John Gallagher of Raven   John Gallagher of Raven - Page 2 EmptyFri May 15, 2009 6:39 pm

That's OK, Bill.

As with a few other activities I enjoy a lot...sometimes I dive...sometimes I pull up. lol!
Back to top Go down
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

PostSubject: Re: John Gallagher of Raven   John Gallagher of Raven - Page 2 EmptyFri May 15, 2009 10:17 pm

Hahahahaha wow....awesome! Laughing
Back to top Go down
EricHaven
Admin
EricHaven

PostSubject: Re: John Gallagher of Raven   John Gallagher of Raven - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 08, 2009 10:25 pm

I got a really nice email from John:

Hey Eric!
Off to Japan tomorrow AM...and my back went out yesterday...ugh..spent the morning at the emergency room
so hopefully the drugs will help...
Anyway, spent last Sunday with Tony of October Guitars at the place in MD & we designed a new bass, with the view to doing an import line...but my signature bass will be an 8 string....with a trem! Yeah!!!!
Will keep ya posted..
Cheers,
John

Looks like Raven will be playing in Japan for a bit! And hopefully John's back doesn't give him too much trouble.
Back to top Go down
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

PostSubject: Re: John Gallagher of Raven   John Gallagher of Raven - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 08, 2009 10:29 pm

Thanks for sharing that, Eric! That's awesome...a John Gallagher signature bass! I want one.

Hope ya have a good one, John...wherever you are at the moment! What a Face
Back to top Go down
Kugelspot

Kugelspot

PostSubject: Re: John Gallagher of Raven   John Gallagher of Raven - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 08, 2009 11:29 pm

OH S*** OH S*** OH S*** 8 STRING BASS WITH TREM!!! That will make them the 2nd company ever to do one as a regular (non custom) model, right? I want to see this thing so badly. JOHN! WE NEED PICS! OR AT LEAST SPECS!

Edit: Sorry guys, it's almost midnight, and when I'm up and doing stuff that late, I get kinda hyperactive and easily excited. Still, I'm really curious to see how it turns out.
Back to top Go down
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

PostSubject: Re: John Gallagher of Raven   John Gallagher of Raven - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 08, 2009 11:31 pm

You at midnight sounds like me all the time. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Kugelspot

Kugelspot

PostSubject: Re: John Gallagher of Raven   John Gallagher of Raven - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 08, 2009 11:58 pm

So John, will it be based on you October 12ver?

John Gallagher of Raven - Page 2 Raven_msp5

Awesome pic, BTW
Back to top Go down
amimbari

amimbari

PostSubject: Re: John Gallagher of Raven   John Gallagher of Raven - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 09, 2009 4:11 am

maybe I should cover a RAVEN song?
Back to top Go down
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

PostSubject: Re: John Gallagher of Raven   John Gallagher of Raven - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 09, 2009 8:03 am

Yeah, man!! I'd love to see it! What a Face
Back to top Go down
amimbari

amimbari

PostSubject: Re: John Gallagher of Raven   John Gallagher of Raven - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 09, 2009 11:06 am

Chowderboots wrote:
Yeah, man!! I'd love to see it! What a Face
you know that schism by tool song is over 7 minutes..... so when you suggest a RAVEN song, let it be around 4 minutes please.

I'm gonna do the schism, but only the first part where it kinda gets quiet in the middle around 4 minutes worth... cat
Back to top Go down
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

PostSubject: Re: John Gallagher of Raven   John Gallagher of Raven - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 09, 2009 3:21 pm

Hey, man...I don't listen to Tool. They're cool and all, but I'm not too into them. I don't think it would have crossed my mind to recommend that to ya. But okay. Laughing
Back to top Go down
EricHaven
Admin
EricHaven

PostSubject: Re: John Gallagher of Raven   John Gallagher of Raven - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 09, 2009 3:27 pm

Mike, I would love to hear you cover 46 and 2, since the bass line is so dominant.

And I'm not sure if John will be cruising the board while they're in Japan, but hopefully he'll check things once they get back. Wink
Back to top Go down
Kugelspot

Kugelspot

PostSubject: Re: John Gallagher of Raven   John Gallagher of Raven - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 21, 2009 1:32 pm

Kugelspot wrote:
So John, will it be based on you October 12ver?

Wait, I think this is it (or the body at least):

John Gallagher of Raven - Page 2 Raven%20bass
Back to top Go down
johng

johng

PostSubject: Re: John Gallagher of Raven   John Gallagher of Raven - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 26, 2009 5:20 am

Very Happy hi!
jeez..you got good spies!!! thats the ruff cut...looking at 2 humbuckers and a P-bass
in the middle...and a trem....!
cheers, John
Back to top Go down
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

PostSubject: Re: John Gallagher of Raven   John Gallagher of Raven - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 26, 2009 9:36 am

Ooh...wow....I'm excited!!! affraid
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: John Gallagher of Raven   John Gallagher of Raven - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

John Gallagher of Raven
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next