Bass Tremolo Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

My 2 cents on gauges and action

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Meshica7

Meshica7

My 2 cents on gauges and action Empty
PostSubject: My 2 cents on gauges and action   My 2 cents on gauges and action EmptySat Jul 01, 2017 6:58 pm

I am def in the low action/light gauge camp.
Extremely low,actually, and extremely light strings.
All my basses are strung with SIT Rock Brights Stainless Round Wounds .030 .050 .070 .090 with relative gauges on my 5 strings. I have a 12 string with a custom light gauge set from SIT in their Power Steel Series.
I have written Tim Pfouts of SIT about a custom gauge for my 6 string that will have a Kahler mounted on it very soon. I want to tune this bass EADGCF. I know that SIT makes the Snakeskins Strings for Conklin's extended range basses.
Ley's see what they can come up with!
Back to top Go down
EricHaven
Admin
EricHaven

PostSubject: Re: My 2 cents on gauges and action   My 2 cents on gauges and action EmptySun Jul 02, 2017 8:57 pm

Indeed! I have also had great luck with lighter gauges, as I recently tried using a set of Rotosounds that were 40-60-80-100. They worked really well, although I did find I was missing some low-end.
Back to top Go down
http://www.basstremolofanatics.com
Meshica7

Meshica7

PostSubject: Re: My 2 cents on gauges and action   My 2 cents on gauges and action EmptyFri Jul 07, 2017 10:19 am

Tim has been on vacation all week, but Joe from SIT got a hold of me. They only offer an .018 F in plain. He said it would probably feel weird going from wound to plain. I agree, although I did have one of my basses strung with Rotosound Picollos and the G was a plain. However, I really wanna stay with a wound string. I may need to get my regular set of strings from SIT that I've been using..and then add the extra strings from Conklin..turns out they sell singles and offer a wound .020 F!
Another option, this suggested by Doug Montgomery of Guitar Factory in Orlando. is to use a wound banjo string as they have a long scale. He actually did this on a 7 string bass he made for a client. He soldered the ball onto the end (banjo strings have a looped end with no ball). He said it worked great!
We'll see...maybe when Tim gets back from holiday he may have a suggestion.
Back to top Go down
EricHaven
Admin
EricHaven

PostSubject: Re: My 2 cents on gauges and action   My 2 cents on gauges and action EmptySun Jul 16, 2017 8:26 pm

Keep us posted, Juan. I will be really interested to hear what the results are. I believe that so many things we experience as players are subjective to one's personal experience, so I am always open to the results from every player. For example, I was always of the opinion that flatwounds would not work well on a trem, but we have had players that had great luck with them, so there ya go. String gauges are but another example. Our dear friend John Gallagher of Raven uses really ultra-light strings on his tremmed custom Explorer, and has almost no problems (I have played on his bass before, and can confirm this firsthand).
Back to top Go down
Meshica7

Meshica7

PostSubject: Re: My 2 cents on gauges and action   My 2 cents on gauges and action EmptySun Jul 16, 2017 9:27 pm

Turns out Tim at S.I.T. is sending me a .025 for a C and I got a .020 round wound Snakeskins from Conklin. I'll keep ya posted!!!
Flats...I tried and tried to like 'em...but no can do! It's the feel...like they drag on your fingers or something. At least that's how they feel to me. As for sound,well,what Steve Harris does on his P Bass sounds amazing!!! I love his tone!
Back to top Go down
Meshica7

Meshica7

PostSubject: Re: My 2 cents on gauges and action   My 2 cents on gauges and action EmptySat Aug 12, 2017 8:03 am

OK..so I got my bass back with the Kahler Hybrid installed..and..the F string broke after about 10 mins of hard trem arm pulls. Yup..not sure if it was a faulty string or just too much aggression! I need to get a hold of the folks at Conklin and see what they say about the string breakage. I have tuned that bass BEADGC..but will return to the high F tuning in the future..not done with that at all....
Back to top Go down
Meshica7

Meshica7

PostSubject: Re: My 2 cents on gauges and action   My 2 cents on gauges and action EmptySat Aug 12, 2017 8:10 am

OK..so I got my bass back with the Kahler Hybrid installed..and..the F string broke after about 10 mins of hard trem arm pulls. Yup..not sure if it was a faulty string or just too much aggression! I need to get a hold of the folks at Conklin and see what they say about the string breakage. I have tuned that bass BEADGC..but will return to the high F tuning in the future..not done with that at all....
Back to top Go down
EricHaven
Admin
EricHaven

PostSubject: Re: My 2 cents on gauges and action   My 2 cents on gauges and action EmptySat Aug 19, 2017 11:06 am

Sounds good, Brutha! Keep us posted! We really appreciate having the new data!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My 2 cents on gauges and action   My 2 cents on gauges and action Empty

Back to top Go down

My 2 cents on gauges and action
Page 1 of 1