Bass Tremolo Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Flatwound strings with a trem?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
RBS_Johnson

RBS_Johnson

Flatwound strings with a trem? Empty
PostSubject: Flatwound strings with a trem?   Flatwound strings with a trem? EmptyTue Dec 17, 2013 5:21 pm

I was curious about running flat wound strings on a tremolo equipped bass.  Any of you ever try it?  I know that the typical sound of flat wounds is not what most of you guys want, but I thought maybe somebody out there has given it a shot.  Even if it is not good, it will at least be recorded for posterity(future users of this site ).  So, any idea how it would sound/work?

-Jake

Last edited by RBS_Johnson on Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SPYD3R #9

SPYD3R #9

PostSubject: Re: Flatwound strings with a trem?   Flatwound strings with a trem? EmptyMon Dec 23, 2013 1:27 am

RBS_Johnson wrote:
I was curious about running flat wound strings on a tremolo equipped bass.  Any of you ever try it?  I know that the typical sound of flat wounds is not what most of you guys want, but I thought maybe somebody out there has given it a shot.  Even if it is not good, it will at least be recorded for posterity(future users of this site ).  So, any idea how it would sound/work?

-Jake

I've used daddario chromes and kinda like it, but please note that the flatwounds had a heavier tension than round wound, I recently swap the flats with round wound stainless steels, the round wound had more flexibility on it.. IME YMMV

the picture below shows daddario chromes (the winding and the ball end)
Flatwound strings with a trem? 1374935862997_zps7a1324a5
Back to top Go down
Alexander

Alexander

PostSubject: Re: Flatwound strings with a trem?   Flatwound strings with a trem? EmptyMon Dec 23, 2013 8:04 am

One guy in the Show us your Bass with Tremolo Bridge thread on talkbass posted his bass with flatwounds and this to say about them.

Flatwound strings with a trem? 7134_1225874452044_5368168_n_zps4ea7dc13
" Burns "John Rostill 1964" reissue with a Kahler. First with flatwounds, later with roundwounds as they are more stable for tremolo use."

Cool looking bass!
Back to top Go down
RBS_Johnson

RBS_Johnson

PostSubject: Re: Flatwound strings with a trem?   Flatwound strings with a trem? EmptyMon Dec 23, 2013 11:27 am

I figured it was something along those lines.  I may try it at some point when I have more money for strings  Rolling Eyes 

Thanks guys.
Back to top Go down
EricHaven
Admin
EricHaven

PostSubject: Re: Flatwound strings with a trem?   Flatwound strings with a trem? EmptyMon Dec 23, 2013 10:33 pm

I have also heard that flats can work really well on a trem. I've been meaning to give it a whirl one of these days.
Back to top Go down
http://www.basstremolofanatics.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Flatwound strings with a trem?   Flatwound strings with a trem? Empty

Back to top Go down

Flatwound strings with a trem?
Page 1 of 1